The Tuesday Club
The group has been in existence for 22 years and meets on the second Tuesday in each month to enjoy talks and demonstrations covering very diverse, and we trust, interesting subjects.
Previously up to the end of 2012, our meetings were held in the evenings at the Great Bardfield Town Hall. It was decided by popular request to change the meeting time to
2.30 pm in the afternoon, commencing January 2013, hopefully to help increase our membership and to alleviate the problem of dark evenings in the winter months.
Since the beginning of 2014 it is now our aim to open the membership to both Ladies and Gentlemen and of course visitors are always welcome.
Member’s subscription is £15.00 per annum. Visitors - £3.50 per meeting.
We enjoy tea or coffee and biscuits, which are served following our talks and a raffle is held with proceeds given to our chosen charity. 2013 raised a sum of £150.00 which was given to The CREAMER Fund. The charity of choice for 2014 is ‘The Essex Air Ambulance’.
Added to our monthly talks, a summer outing and a theatre trip are organised, with an occasional bring and buy plant and book stalls.
The highlight was our Christmas lunch, held at the Vine Inn, with 25 members attending, a very delicious and happy occasion.
December 2013 saw the retirement of Marian McDonald who has held the reins since 1992. A Christmas hamper containing her favourite food and drink was presented at our lunch with a heartfelt vote of thanks for all her hard work.
We have enjoyed
- 14th January “Woodland Trust” by Sally Hepher
- 11th February “17th Century Thaxted” by Ken Baker
- 11th March “A Medical Mission to Ghana” by Beverley Vincent
Still to come:-
- 13th May “The BBC Archives” by Norma Jones
followed by ‘Bring and Buy’ plant stall
- 10th June “Around the World on a Container Ship” by Peter Hesketh
- 8th July “(Group Outing) A short Historical Walk around
Finchingfield with Ron Hawkins, followed by afternoon Tea
- 12th August “ The Journey” in the Antipodes by Barry Kaufmann-Wright
- 9th September “ The Art of Dowsing” by Colin Peal
- 14th October “ Yarn about Yarn” by Becky Pointer
- 11th November “Tales in the afternoon” by Carl Merry- storyteller
(last year we were all mesmerised, you could have heard a pin drop.)
- 9th December CHRISTMAS LUNCH
We would very much like to increase our membership and extend a very warm welcome to everyone.
Further information is available from Adrienne Poulson 01371 811401